The flash flood warnings have been canceled Inside the D.C. space, however warnings and watches for flooding stay, Whilst a Outcome of the rain tapers off, as The beneathfacet Inside the metro space is saturated.
The flash flood warnings, and A lot of the watches, have been canceled Inside the D.C. space Friday morning, Neverthemuch less the potential of flooding stays Whilst a Outcome of the rain tapers off, as The beneathfacet Inside the metro space is saturated.
The flash flood watches stay in influence for parts of Southern Maryland, collectively with Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s counties, till 5 p.m.
A flood warning stays in influence for D.C. and the shut-in Maryland and Virginia suburbs, the southern half of Truthfulfax County and indepfinishent cities in Northern Virginia till 4:45 p.m. The flood warning is in influence in The Reprimaryder of Truthfulfax County, and Inside The metropolis of Truthfulfax, till 4:15 p.m.
The rain that fell all by way of the morning Outcomeed in flooding Throughout The world, which led to reviews of downed timber and submerged automotives.
“There’s nonethemuch less A lot of standing water across the area,” Storm Group 4 meteorologist Mike Stinneford said. “You’re nonethemuch less going To encounter A lot of flooded roadmethods.”
That’s definitely the case Inside the noon. Parts of Seashore Drive in Montgomery County are shutd, said Pete Piringer, of the Montgomery County Hearth and Rescue Service.
Parts of @MontgomeryCoMD Seashore Dr CLOSED motoring public/vehicular visitors, As properly as to leisure pedestrian and bicycle clients, As a Outcome of of extreme water & flooding – footage is Seashore Dr shut to Stanhope Rd, simply east of Connecticut Avenue pic.twitter.com/ukwCSKX3nu
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) August 20, 2021
Completely different primary road closures Through the morning included the George Washington Parkmethod simply south of Chain Bridge; a tree fell across all 4 lanes and blocked visitors for Greater than an hour.
“We’re nonethemuch less seeing some thbeneathstorms creating” over the afternoon, Stinneford said, including, “We Ought to be Almost flood-free By The objective the afternoon rush hour begins.”
Whereas The hazard of flash floods is abating, The hazard of flooding Continues to be round. Whereas flash flooding sproperlys and recedes shortly, floods happen beset off “creeks and streams are out of their banks, and that water’s gonna primarytain there for A while,” Stinneford said. Flooding can happen hours after the final rain has fallen.
A automotive accomplished up caught in water on Previous Courtroomhouse Road and Beasley Road Inside the Vienna space. The driving strain managed to get out safely. (WTOP/Matt Small)
“A Flood Warning is much less extreme than a flash flood warning,” Storm Group 4 meteorologist Mike Stinneford said. “In a flash flood warning, creeks and streams are anticipated to rise speedyly, and dry spaces Might be flooded in simply minutes. A flood warning Signifies that The beneathfacet is saturated, and any further rain could set off creeks and streams To return out of their banks, however the rise of water Will not be as speedy as What’s seen all by way of a flash flood.”
“Drivers and refacetnts are urged To primarytain amethod or be swept amethod. Riverbanks and culverts can Discover your self to be unstable and unsafe,” the Nationwide Climate Service said.
Temperatures Through the day Shall be Inside the mid 70s to the low 80s, and It is going to be muggy outfacet.
“The steadiest rain will come Inside The primary half of the day, however scattered thbeneathstorms will stay probably till Tonight,” Storm Group 4 meteorologist Chuck Bell said.
Whereas the D.C. space loved A quick respite on Thursday from the muggy, unsettled weather, a wave of low strain slowly crossed by way of The world early Friday. It’d be the ninth Day trip of the final 10 with rainfall Inside the D.C. area, Bell said.
Humidity returns simply in time for the weekfinish, creating uncomfortable circumstances and The prospect of extensively scattered or remoted thbeneathstorms.
“That pattern will proceed on into Sunday and Monday with growing temperatures and sunshine As properly as to reducing possibilities for afternoon storms,” Bell said.
Bell furtherly said To Look forward to Tropical Storm Henri To Wind up to be a hurricane Infacet The subsequent 24 hours. The storm is shifting 65 miles per hour off the coast of North Carolina and heading northward all by way of the weekfinish. Do You’d like to plan to go the Maryland or Delaware seashores, Bell said To make the most of utmost warning as extremely effective rip currents will “be A precedence.”
The weather has affected the journey east to the Bay Bridge, said Reada Kessler Inside the WTOP Traffic Center. They’re unable to run two-method visitors, Kessler said, and as of 11:10 eastbound visitors on eastbound Route 50 was backed As a lot As a Outcome of the Severn River Bridge – Greater than 5 miles from the Bay Bridge.
The District of Columbia 911 center reviews A minimal of a dozen roads are shutd As a Outcome of of flooding.
Traffic backup associated to the fallen tree on GW Parkmethod. pic.twitter.com/hBYQfEHp1m
— Mitchell Miller (@mmillerwtop) August 20, 2021
The Truthfulfax County police are reporting factors with roads Inside The subsequent spaces:
Sully District Station
Truthfulfax Station Road is shutd at Dangerfield Way by a downed tree.
Mason District Station
- Woodburn Road at Spicewood Drive is shutd As a Outcome of of flooding.
- Arlington Boulevard is shutd at Prosperity Avenue As a Outcome of of flooding.
- The 3700 block of Prosperity Avenue is shutd As a Outcome of of flooding.
- Morningfacet Drive is shutd at Chandler Street As a Outcome of of flooding.
McLean District Station
- Beulah Road is shutd at Browns Mill Road As a Outcome of of flooding.
- Hilltop Avenue is shutd at Cedar Lane As a Outcome of of flooding.
- Georgemetropolis Pike is shutd at Swinks Mill Road As a Outcome of of flooding.
Reston District Station
- The 10100 block of Wfinishover Drive is shutd As a Outcome of of a downed tree.
- Hunter Mill is shutd at Hunter Mill Station As a Outcome of of flooding.
West Springfield District Station
- Burke Road is shutd at Heritage Sq. Drive, and at Cove Courtroom, As a Outcome of of flooding.
- Burke Lake Road is shutd at Kilkenny Lane, and at Jeremiah Courtroom, As a Outcome of of flooding.
Truthful Oaks District Station
The 10600 block of Hunters Valley Drive is shutd As a Outcome of of a downed tree and wires Inside the roadmethod.
Completely different road spaces to be cautious of, Based mostly on WTOP’s Will Vitka:
- The left lane of southbound I-395 earlier than Boundary Channel Drive is beneath water, in Arlington, Va.
- Route 66 East between routes 50 and 123 – extreme standing water Inside the far left lane.
- Outer Loop after MD-450 in Prince George’s County – extreme standing water alongside the left facet of the roadmethod.
- Indepfinishence Avenue Southwest was beneath water westbound between Fifteenth and Twenty third roads. Park Police have been on the scene. Adjust to their course simply in case you’re being rerouted Inside The world.
- Some problem was noticed outbound on the Clara Barton Parkmethod: There’s extreme standing water on the ramp to get onto the Outer Loop of the Beltmethod. “Just be very automotiveeful with these storms rolling Out and in,” WTOP Traffic Reporter Jack Taylor said. “Please Guarantee your headlights are on. And if you see any of That prime standing water, please primarytain away from, simply drop your speeds.”
Friday: Cloudy and humid. Rain Inside the morning. Scattered afternoon thbeneathstorms. Probability of rain 100%. Highs Inside the extremeer 70s to low 80s.
Friday Evening time: Cloudy and humid with occasional showers. Lows Inside the extremeer 60s to mid 70s.
Saturday: Partly cloudy however nonethemuch less very humid. Afternoon rain/thbeneathstorms potential. Highs Inside the low to mid 80s.
Sunday: Scorching and humid, with remoted afternoon thbeneathstorms. Highs Inside the mid 80s to 90.
Monday: Principally sunny, hot and humid. Isolated storms potential. Highs Inside the extremeer 80s to low 90s.
Persist with WTOP for All of the latest watches and warnings.
WTOP’s Colleen Kelleher, Anna Gewal, Matt Small and José Umaña contrihowevered to this report.